· By Naario Support
Sarson ka saag
- 5 cups washed and chopped mustard leaves (sarson ke patte)
- 5 cups washed and chopped spinach (palak)
- 1 1/2 tbsp roughly chopped green chillies
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- Naario Himalayan Pink salt as per taste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder, optional salt to taste
Step 1 - To make sarson ka saag, boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard leaves, spinach and green chillies, mix well and cook on a high flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Step 2 - Strain using a strainer and drain well
Step 3 - Refresh it twice in enough cold water immediately and drain well again. Keep aside for 2 to 3 minutes to cool slightly.
Step 4 - Blend in a mixer to a coarse mixture using ½ cup of water.
Step 5 - Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
Step 6 - When the seeds crackle, add the garlic, ginger and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
Step 7 - Add the onions and again sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
Step 8 - Add the mustard leaves- spinach mixture, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Step 9 - Serve the sarson ka saag hot with makai ki roti and a spoon of Naario Jaggery Powder