Summer coolers - Pankam
HERE’S WHY JAGGERY IS IMPORTANT EVEN DURING SUMMERS!
- Jaggery is considered to be a winter staple which helps us in keeping our bodies warm but on the contrary- jaggery works wonders even in summers!
- A small piece of jaggery with warm water or a bite or two of jaggery during the day, boosts the energy levels and prevents dehydration.
- Jaggery contains a lot of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, manganese and vitamins such as A, E and C and has a less glycemic index compared to white sugar. It helps boost digestion and gives instant energy.
- Moreover, the fructooligosaccharides present in jaggery act as a prebiotic and feed healthy bacteria in the colon.
- Lemon juice:
- Naario Jaggery powder
- Dry ginger:
- Naario Himalayan Pink Salt
Panka Recipe -
- The first thing I will do is soak the jaggery. Now today I have powdered jaggery ¼ cup, so that will dissolve fast. But if you get the traditional jaggery that comes in cubes that takes time to melt if you use a chunk of it. While the jaggery melts let us get the rest of the ingredients done.
- Now, squeeze the lemon and crush the cardamom seeds. when offering to the Lord I will use the mortar pestle but generally, I do it with the rolling pin and a few grains of sugar.
- By now the jaggery must have melted so add the lemon juice about 2 tablespoons or a medium lemon.
- Add some dry ginger powder. Now, this I add just a pinch as I am not sure if the family will like it. you can add up to ¼ tsp.
- Add ½ teaspoon of cardamom powder, a pinch of pepper, salt and a pinch of edible camphor as I love it. Mix well.
- If Pankam is being made for Parsad then just mix, add the holy basil and do the offering. You do not tase offering. When serving friends and family add ice to the mix.